Gilchrist Bridge

The footbridge connecting Edenderry village to the towpath, whilst modest in scope is of special importance to the regional park in that it was built to honour John Gilchrist who was instrumental in founding the Regional Park. The Regional Park was founded in 1967, just two years after the area was designated one of Northern Ireland's Area's of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

Photo: John Meikleham

Shaw's Bridge

There was a shallow ford at this point which had been a crossing point since early times. It is believed that a bridge has been there since 1617. Cromwell came to this area during his time in Ireland and in 1655 Captain John Shaw from Cromwell's army built an oak bridge. In 1698 it was replaced with a stone bridge again built by the army which was swept away. In 1709 the current bridge was built. Shaw's Bridge is a very important structure as it carried what was then the main road to Dublin and to other parts of Ireland.

In 1976 the new concrete bridge was built.

Chimney Bridge

The 'Chimney Bridge' at Ballydrain was a metal bridge for farmers to drive cattle over.

Drum Bridge
Drum Bridge - Click to enlarge


Situated on the Upper Malone Road, the bridge is made of random masonry construction, has three arches and six flood arches. and predates 1832. The canal at this point went under the road by a separate bridge.

McQuiston's Lock

McQuiston's Lock has an original bridge.


Ballyskeagh Bridge
Ballyskeagh Bridge - Click to enlarge

Ballyskeagh High Bridge

This high bridge of two arches is constructed of red sandstone and carries the Ballyskeagh Road over the Lagan Navigationl and Towpath. It was built around 1760 by Thomas Omer, engineer in charge of the Navigation.

Wolfenden's Bridge

This is a masonry bridge of 9 small arches, built pre-1833 which carries the Ballyskeagh Road over the Lagan near Lambeg Village. It is named after one of the pioneers of the Linen industry.

Lambeg Suspension Bridge

A bridge of a type unique in Lagan Valley Regional Park is the small iron suspension bridge which gives access from River Road to the premises which were formerly those of the Lambeg Weaving Company.

Union Bridge and Lisburn Harbour

The Union Bridge was built in 1880 replacing an earlier bridge. There was an even older bridge just to the north. Lisburn Harbour had nine quays and in its hey-day would have been a very busy place. There was one public quay owned by the Lagan Navigation Company which was for general cargo including coal for the gasworks. Henry Mulholland, a local timber merchant, erected a dry dock nearby in 1837 where they built and repaired small vessels and lighters. They could repair two or three lighters at a time including loaded ones. The rest belonged to spinning, weaving and bleaching companies and other merchants and the Co-op.

Moore's Bridge

This bridge was built in 1825 as part of the new Lisburn - Hillsborough Turnpike road of that year. It is a fine three arched bridge of dressed sandstone with black stone parapets. Steps have been constructed to give access to the towpath which passes underneath.